The STAMP Family of Tests
Avant STAMP™ is used to measure real-world language proficiency and earn credentials like Seals of Biliteracy.
STAMP for ASL
STAMP for Latin
About Avant STAMP
The Avant STAMP™ (STAndards-based Measurement of Proficiency) language assessment was originally created at the University of Oregon’s Center for Applied Second Language Studies (CASLS).
Its purpose is to improve language-learning outcomes, support excellence in language programs, and enable language credentialing.
Recommended for College Credit
Avant STAMP is recommended for college credit by the American Council on Education (ACE), the same educational body that has provided credit recommendations to institutions of higher education for College Board Advanced Placement (AP) Examinations, Cambridge Assessments, and ACT subject tests. This provides opportunities for students to earn credit or be placed in higher-level courses to advance their language skills.
Universities across the U.S. are recognizing Avant STAMP and creating pathways to higher education for language learners everywhere.
Avant STAMP is available in 46 languages and counting.
Gauge Program Quality
Avant STAMP provides constructive analysis and data for language program development, enabling educators to improve learning outcomes and make more informed decisions on curriculum and training.
By delivering accurate data on real-world language proficiency levels, Avant STAMP facilitates progress monitoring through the measurement of individual, group, and program growth.
Seals Of Biliteracy
Hundreds of schools, districts, and businesses choose Avant STAMP 4S, Avant STAMP WS, STAMP for ASL, STAMP for Latin, and the Arabic Proficiency Test to qualify test takers for Seals of Biliteracy, giving them credentials for college applications and resumes.
Annual Refreshes and Additions
Writing and Speaking prompts are replaced and/or supplemented every year. Reading and Listening questions are replaced on a regular schedule, based on several research criteria. This helps to ensure test security and maintain high-quality assessments.
Who Uses Avant STAMP?
The Avant STAMP assessment:
- Empowers administrators to make data-informed decisions about curriculum and teacher development.
- Delivers accurate data on proficiency from Novice-Low through Advanced-High.
- Measures students’ language proficiency over time.
- Qualifies test takers for State or Global Seals of Biliteracy and Avant Digital Badges.
- Verifies skills for competency-based credits.
- Places students in appropriate level courses.
- Engages test takers with real-world content.
The Avant STAMP Pro assessment:
- Verifies language skills online, anywhere around the world.
- Enables hiring managers and supervisors to quickly and affordably match employees and candidates to job requirements.
- Saves HR time with remote proctoring through AvantProctor.
- Certify employees and recruit candidates with a Global Seal of Biliteracy and skill-based pay differentials.
- Ensures confident hiring.
- Empower language learners to showcase what they CAN DO.
- Use real-world content that would be encountered in daily life.
- Support further language growth with Power-Up Suggestions and individual report visuals.
- Accelerate academic and career growth with the Global Seal of Biliteracy and Avant Digital Badges.
Aligned to Internationally Recognized Proficiency Standards
Avant’s assessments utilize actual authentic texts and audio you would encounter in the real world such as articles, advertisements, and news. Avant proficiency tests are aligned to the ACTFL Proficiency Guidelines with CEFR coming soon.
Online, Computer-Adaptive Assessment
Adaptive tests eliminate questions that are too easy or too difficult for each test taker allowing them to reach their highest level of proficiency. All Avant assessments are developed by professional target language and assessment experts.
Fast And Easily Accessible Results
Avant STAMP Reading, Listening, and ASL Receptive results are available online immediately, and the Writing and Speaking responses are scored by Avant Certified Raters in 10-12 business days. ASL Expressive results are delivered in 20-22 business days. Test results are never deleted so that programs can conduct detailed longitudinal analysis.
Integrated with Clever and ClassLink
Clever and ClassLink are single sign-on (SSO) integrations that make rostering your test takers quick, easy, and more secure. Using these integrations means profile information is consistent. This ensures the ability to compare learner test results quickly and efficiently.
All of Avant’s testing products are compatible with most browsers and devices, including iPads (iOS version 12+) and Chromebooks, to give you more flexibility when testing.
How to Leverage Avant STAMP Data
Experienced educators Roger Burt and Bonnie Peterson share how they used the data from the Avant STAMP in the Davis School District to improve their students’ and programs’ outcomes.
User Guide Resources
Already testing with Avant STAMP? Avant offers all the materials necessary to ensure testing goes as smoothly as possible, from setting up the technology to viewing your reports.